2018 Mouse Hole Scholarships
sponsored by Blind Mice inc
Welcome to a dream come true! The Mouse Hole Scholarship Program began as a dream in 2000. It became a reality in 2004 with the first scholarships being awarded to deserving students.
See this year's awards
The MouseHole Scholarships are open to any graduating High School Student that is visually impaired or sighted provided one or both of their parents are visually impaired.
Every purchase made in the Blind Mice Mega Mall and contributions made by you during the year grow the MouseHole Scholarship Fund for that year! The Scholarships will change from year to year depending on the amount in the MouseHole Scholarship Fund at the end of the year! The goal of Blind Mice Inc is to offer more and larger scholarships every successive year!
Remember, everytime you make a purchase in one of the many stores at Blind Mice Mega mall the Scholarship Fund grows a bit larger!
Blind Mice Inc has offered over $31,850.00 in scholarships to deserving students pursueing their college degrees!
These awards have been possible because of your support of Blind Mice Mega Mall and all our merchants!
The scholarships are open to visually impaired students and also to sighted students with visually impaired parents.
Let's all work together to make life better for everyone!
Jump to this year's essay topic
Read the eligibility rules for the Mouse Hole Scholarship Essay Contest
Jump to 'How to get an application'
Jump to 'Directions for Submitting Essays'
Awards for the 2018 Mouse Hole Scholarship Essay Contest
Blind Mice Shoppers raised over $2,700.00 in 2017 for the Mouse Hole Scholarship program.
Blind Mice Inc is adding another $300.00 to the Mouse Hole Scholarships!
2018 Mousehole Scholarship Awards
Back to Top
The topic for this year's essay:
The Antonia M. Derks Memorial Scholarship: $1,500.00
The Antonia M. Derks Memorial Scholarship carries the name of a great lady. She never let anything block her path to her dreams! This award is awarded to the top applicant.!
The KelseyDawg Memorial Scholarship: $1,000.00
The KelseyDog Scholarship Memorial Scholarship is awarded to the first runner-up!
The Phil Parr Memorial Scholarship is awarded to the second runner-up!
The Phil Parr Memorial Scholarship: $500.00
Mouse Hole Scholarship 2018 Essay Topic
Applicants are asked to write about the following:
The year is 2028. You have just received an invitation to your 10-year high school reunion. Thoughts of the past fly through your head.
As you reflect upon the past 10 years, write about where you are in your life in the year 2028.
The essay should be a combination of fact and fiction. Use your imagination, experiences, and dreams to
create your essay!
Here are some questions to get you thinking!
A winning essay will be composed using these prompts in a very creative manner!
Please don't put our judges to sleep with a boring essay!
Don't be afraid to have some fun with this essay and dream a little!
Remember, it is ten years in the future! Let your imagination go!
Who makes up your family and What are they like?
- What are your likes and dislikes.
- What are your strengths and weaknesses.
- What groups and organizations did you belong to in high school?
- What were your activities and interests in high school and how did they influence you?
- Did you continue these interests in college?
- How have the members of your family influenced you?
- What else has influenced you and your beliefs, goals, and dreams?
- Has blindness affected your ideas, goals, and dreams?
- Why did you choose the college you attended?
- How did earning a college degree help you reach your goals?
- Why did you want to attend college and study in your chosen field?
- What was the hardest part of college and earning your degree?
- Upon entering college, what was your biggest fear and how did you overcome this fear?
- How did the Mouse Hole Scholarship help you?
- What did you expect college to be like?
- What activities and interests did you pursue in college?
- What groups and organizations did you belong to in college?
- Did you go on to Grad School?
- What career did you end up in?
- Are you married?
- Do you have children?
- Is your life turning out as you expected?
- What are your goals for the future?
- Are you looking forward to your 10 Year Graduation Reunion?
Remember, this essay is an opportunity to dream a little about your future and to tell us about yourself in a creative manner.
The length of the essay should be between 10 and 15 pages.
Essays will be judged on originality, creativity, grammar, spelling, and the judge's overall impression of the applicant.
We look forward to reading your essays!
Back to Top
2018 Mouse Hole Scholarship Essay Contest Rules
- Applicants or their parent or parents corrected vision must be 20/200 or worse in both eyes, i.e. legally visually impaired, to apply for this scholarship.
- Applicants must be a high school graduate or equivalent and be graduating by the summer of 2018 and not have been previously enrolled solely in any college. If receiving a GED, it must be earned by the summer of 2018.
- Applicants must be attending a college or university degree program in the United States beginning in the Fall of 2018 or the Spring of 2019.
- The length of the essay will be at least six pages and not exceed fifteen pages.
- Essays may be submitted for consideration only in these ways:
A. Electronically sent as attachments by e-mail
B. Saved on a thumb drive and mailed
Submissions sent as an attachment by e-mail or those saved on thumb drive must be in MS Word (.doc format) or text format.
Entries received in any other formats will be disqualified and not considered for an award.
The Information Cover Sheet and a letter of recommendation must accompany each essay.
These documents must be in the same format as the essay.
The letter of recommendation must be written by the student?s school counselor, an administrator , or by one of the student?s teachers.
All Submissions will become the property of Blind Mice inc and Mouse Hole Scholarships.
All decisions made by the judges and Blind Mice Inc. are final.
Essays will be accepted until May 15, 2018.
- Recipients of awards will be notified on or before June 30, 2018.
- The names of award recipients and their essays, in part or whole, may be used by Blind Mice inc for promotional purposes.
- Scholarships will be paid, in the name of the winning students, to the general scholarship fund of the college or university the winning applicants will be attending.
- Proof of visual impairment may be requested before awards are presented.
- These scholarships are limited to individuals pursuing a post-secondary college or university degree program in the United States.
- Individuals may submit only one application for an award period
- Judges, officers, Board Members, and employees of Blind Mice inc. as well as their families are not eligible for the scholarship awards.
- These rules may be amended or changed at anytime by Blind Mice Inc. . without notice.
E-mail address for submissions:
Submit Essay, Application, and Recommendation Letter Here!
Postal Address for mailing essays:
Blind Mice Inc
Mouse Hole Scholarship Program
16810 Pinemoor Way
Houston, TX 77058
Contact Phone Number: 713 893 7277
Back to Top
How to Get an Application
We will be happy to e-mail an application to you. Click on the link below to request your application. If you need us to send it to a different e-mail address, please indicate the address that the application should be sent to.Send for an application now!
Back to Top
Directions for Submitting Essays:
Ready to send entry? Click here!
The application, letter of recommendation, and essay can be submitted by e-mail or by saving the documents on a thumb drive and mailed.
The documents should be saved in MS Word (.doc format only) or Text format only to be considered.
To Submit Electronically by E-mail:
Send application, recommendation letter, and essay as attachments to email@example.com
Remember The files must be in MS Word (.doc format only) or Text format.
Electronic submissions must be received before midnight (central time) May 15, 2018 .
A confirmation will be sent confirming the receipt of your essay.
To Submit by mail on Flash Drive
Save application, recommendation letter, and essay in MS Word (.doc format only) or Text format on flash drive and mail to:
Mouse Hole Scholarships
16810 Pinemoor Way
Houston, TX 77058
Parcel must be postmarked on or before May 15, 2018 to be accepted.
No materials will be returned.
Please contact us with any questions:
call: 713 893 7277
Back to Top
Welcome to Blind Mice Mega Mall - "The Mall with the Blind In Mind!
Blind Mice Mega Mall is designed to operate with screen reader and low vision software!
You help support the Blind Community every time you purchase from any of the many merchants in Blind Mice Mega Mall!
Each store is owned/managed by a Visually Impaired member of our community!
Support the Blind & Low Vision Community! Shop at Blind Mice Mega Mall
Proceeds from your purchase at Blind Mice Mega Mall support The Cooking In The Dark Show, the MouseHole Scholarships, and the Movie Vault!
Every purchase you make gives back to the Blind and Visually Impaired Community!
Join the Today's Cheese newsletter to get Members' Only sales & Unadvertised Specials from the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall
You can save $$$ with these unadvertised specials!
Join the Today's Cheese Newsletter Here!
Blind Mice Swap Shop
Sell, Swap, and Buy
The Mice receive calls everyday asking if we buy or sell used or unwanted items.
The Mice don't sell used products but to help our members, we created the Blind Mice Swap Shop!
The Blind Mice Swap Shop is the place for Sellers, Traders, & Buyers to find each other!
have something you don't want anymore...Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop
got something you just don't use...Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop
got something new to sell...Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop
provide a service that might be helpful to other Blind and Visually Impaired folks...Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop
have an announcement about an upcoming event beneficial to the Blind & Visually Impaired Community...Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop
Joining the Blind Mice Swap Shop is FREE and as easy as sending an email!
Send Your Email To Join The Blind Mice Swap Shop Here
Do you Use the Movie Vault? Help The Mice keep it available by making a small contribution to help us offset its huge expense!
Blind Mice Members Login Here
Not a Blind Mice Member? Sign Up for Free Membership HereMall Directory: View Stores and Go Shopping!
Search Mall for a Product
View Pending Orders
News and Updates from the Mice
Contact the Mice
Help for Blind Mice Mega Mall Shopping
Terms and Conditions
Mouse Hole Scholarship Program
Cooking in the Dark Show Archives
Blind Mice Mega Mall accepts:
- American Express
- Money Orders
- Purchase Orders From State Agencies are also Welcome!
Blind Mice Mega Mall
Office Hours: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. CST Monday - Friday
Call The Order Center